- listen to Oli Milroy talking about making a "bucket list"
- talk about future plans / dreams / targets / achievements
- practise the future perfect
Teacher's note; the gap-fill exercise can be done before the listening. Students try to fill in the spaces and then listen to check their answers.
- What are your plans for the future?
- Where do you see yourself in 12 months / five years / ten years?
- Is there anything you really want to do / see / experience in life?
- What's a bucket list?
I have always wanted to...
I really want to try... (-ing)
I'd love to...
It's my dream to...
I wish I could...
Wouldn't it be great to...?
A bucket list is a list of things to do before you die. It comes from the slang expression "To kick the bucket" which means to die.
Listen to Oli Milroy.
Oli is an Olympic Torchbearer and Arctic Explorer. He is 19 years old.
- What 3 questions does he ask at the beginning?
- Why did he make his own bucket list?
from BBC Radio Devon
Fill in the gaps below with a word. Listen again to check or if you have problems
Printable worksheet here
Answers to questions above - highlight below
To push himself out of his comfort zone and learn something new about himself
- Do you know yourself?
- Do you know what you want from life?
- How will you judge whether your life has been a success?
- Do you agree with Oli?
- How should we live life?
- Should we experience as much as possible?
The Future Perfect
- What is te future perfect
- How do we make it?
- What do we use it for?
Make your own bucket list.
What will you have achieved / done / seen in 12 months / 5 years etc?
Where will you have been to?
In 12 months I will have...
By the time I'm 30 I will have...
6) Listen and read
Here's a song by Nelly Furtado called "Bucket List". Does it give you any ideas for your bucket list?
There are many talented people who haven't fulfilled their dreams because they over thought it, or they were too cautious, and were unwilling to make the leap of faith.
- James Cameron
The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you. - Tom Bradley
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. - C.S. Lewis
Looking to the Future - Activities and Achievements, Discussion Activities, Future, Future Continuous, Future Perfect, Intermediate, Predictions, Targets, Technology, Upper Intermediate
3 Things I learned while my plane crashed by Ric Elias, Conditionals 1 and 2, Discussion Activities, IELTS, Listening, Reading, Upper Intermediate, Writing