- discuss fashion and jeans
- watch a video clip and do some listening activities on the history of denim (Int)
- do a reading activity about the history of denim (Int)
- do a listening activity about the popularity of jeans (U.Int)
- write about the influence of fashion on people
- Are you wearing jeans now?
- How often do you wear jeans?
- What are jeans made of?
- Do you like jeans? Why? / Why not?
- Why do you wear jeans?
- If you are in class now, how many people are wearing jeans?
- Why do you think they are so popular?
- What do you know about the history of jeans?
What do you know about the history of jeans?
Look at the sentences in the exercise below.
A) Watch the video below and decide if they are true or false.
B) Watch again and do the gap-fill exercise
Read the text below and put the sentences in the correct spaces
Listen to the clip below
You are going to listen to Anthropologist Daniel Miller talking about the popularity of jeans on the BBC World service programme The Forum.
Why does he think jeans are so popular?
From The Forum http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00np2s1#p00p8k7m
Now read the summary below and fill in the gaps.
Vocabulary - to plug = to promote / market / advertise
Fashion trends are difficult to follow these days and it's widely believed that they primarily exist just to sell clothes. Some people believe that we shouldn't follow them and that we should dress in that we like and feel comfortable in.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Printable worksheets here
Giving Up Marilyn Manson Fashion, Listening, Phrasal Verbs / Idioms and Slang, Writing
The history of jeans