You are going to
- practise some phrasal verbs and idioms
- listen to a review of the Stone Roses reunion concert in Barcelona
- write a review of a band / singer you have seen
- What's your favourite kind of music?
- What concerts have you been to?
- What's the best band or singer you have ever seen?
- Have you heard of the Stone Roses?
You are going to listen to a radio clip about the Stone Roses concert in Barcelona in June 2012. Before you listen. Look at these 2 vocabulary exercises.
1) Match the vocabulary.
Do you understand these words? fan, forthcoming, gig, members, a bit off, reunion, tour
Match them with the explanations in the exercise below
2) Phrasal Verbs / Idioms
How many of these phrasal verbs / idioms do you know?
be back, break up, end up, fall out, follow someone around, get back together, get into, get going, hang in, hit your stride, live up to expectations, sing along
Match them with the correct definition in the exercise below. You can drag and drop the meanings on the right to the expression on the left.
Now listen to the radio clip.
Was the Stone Roses' gig a success?
From Radio 4 Today http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9727000/9727011.stm
Listen again. Fill in the spaces with the correct expression
Now choose some of the expressions and write some sentences using them
Example - It was a great concert. It really lived up to my expectations
Write a review of a concert you have seen
Organize your writing into paragraphs
- Introduce the show - Who / What / Where / When?
- Introduce the artist - Who are they? Background information - Give a very short description of the artist
- Describe the concert - Where was it? What was the atmosphere like? How long did they play? Describe some highlights - best songs / best moments
- Give your opinion - What was the show like? If it was good say why. If it was "a bit off" give some constructive recommendations. What should the artist do to improve?
- Conclusion - it's a review so say whether you think people should go and see the band / artist and give a reason.
Phrasal Verbs dictionary
The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses in Barcelona
Watch the Stone Roses in Barcelona